List:       exim-users
Subject:    Re: Virtual domain
From:       Philip Hazel <ph10 () cus ! cam ! ac ! uk>
Date:       1996-11-14 14:33:23

On Thu, 14 Nov 1996, liaison wrote:

>   I am trying to setup a mail hub to handle virtual domains.  My
> understanding is that I create MX records for the domain pointing to my
> mail hub.  When the mail arrives at the hub a decision is made on how to
> route the mail to the destination.

That isn't virtual domains, it is just special-purpose routing. You
should handle it with a domainlist router that lists the domains and
specifies how to get to them - from what you say below, bydns_a is the
way you need.

>   Mail for northern-college.shu.ac.uk is routed to a machine over a dial-up
> link. I cannot initiate the dial at this end, so I will need to kick the
> queue for this machine manually when the link comes up - exim -M or -R?

-R, in order to force it to try the first one, without waiting for the
retry time to expire.

>   I want to re-write addresses for users in the two virtual domains, but
> not for users on the mail hub.  For instance:
>
>   xcode@studrec.northern-college.shu.ac.uk <->
> A.User@northern-college.shu.ac.uk

This should be easy enough. Here is a setup I use on this test system:

*@xoanon.csi.cam.ac.uk \
   ${lookup{$1}lsearch{/opt/local/etc/mail.handles}{$value}fail}\
   @xoanon.csi.cam.ac.uk  \
   hF

where the file contains

ph10:   Philip.Hazel

so that my login id gets re-written with my name. Sorry I can't spend a
bit more time on this but having spent the morning moving office, I've a
bit of a backlog to work through...

Wait a minute. Just noticed you said <-> up there. Can't do that. Exim
has no way of knowing which way mail is going at the time it is doing
the rewriting.

ph10@cus.cam.ac.uk             New Museums Site, Cambridge CB2 3QG,
P.Hazel@ucs.cam.ac.uk          England.  Phone: +44 1223 334714