List:       exim-users
Subject:    Re: several messages
From:       Philip Hazel <ph10 () cus ! cam ! ac ! uk>
Date:       1996-05-23 13:24:30

On Thu, 23 May 1996 jake@ibmpcug.co.uk wrote:

> I personally don't care what Exim is called but as Exim is called Exim
> why change it?  To attract "customers"?

Those are representative quotes indicating that there are those in
favour of re-cycling the name "Smail", those against, and those who
don't care. I made my decision when I started developing, and (sorry,
Ian) none of the arguments have convinced me that I should change it
now, especially as there is nothing like unanimity of view in this
group.

There is also the point that, although it is technically still in alpha
test, it has already become quite widely known under the name Exim.

T.S. Eliot wrote: "The naming of cats is a difficult matter. It isn't
just one of your ordinary games." The naming of software is even harder,
IMO, but having picked "Exim" I think I'd now rather stick with it,
otherwise there is the danger of following Eliot even further... "I tell
you that cats must have *three* *different* names!"  Let's try to avoid
the "it's spelled N-e-t-s-c-a-p-e, but it's pronounced Mozilla" syndrome. :-)

Philip

ph10@cus.cam.ac.uk             New Museums Site, Cambridge CB2 3QG,
P.Hazel@ucs.cam.ac.uk          England.  Phone: +44 1223 334714