List:       exim-users
Subject:    Re: [exim] Route replies to "shared" mails back to other recipients
From:       Dmitriy Matrosov via Exim-users <exim-users () exim ! org>
Date:       2021-04-27 17:17:39

On 4/27/21 6:35 PM, Jeremy Harris via Exim-users wrote:
> On 27/04/2021 16:27, Dmitriy Matrosov via Exim-users wrote:
> > I'm thinking about identifying original message recipient (i.e. "shared" mailbox) \
> > using Message-ID header, and then looking up its aliases, but it seems Message-ID \
> > does not contain localpart, only domain.
>
> If you have the delivering transport set the "envelope_to_add" option,
> does that help?

No, because this only affects original (incoming) message, but i need to identify
original recipient, when looking at the reply.

On 4/27/21 7:52 PM, Evgeniy Berdnikov via Exim-users wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 27, 2021 at 06:27:29PM +0300, Dmitriy Matrosov via Exim-users wrote:
> > I'm thinking about identifying original message recipient
> > (i.e. "shared" mailbox) using Message-ID header, and then looking up
> > its aliases, but it seems Message-ID does not contain localpart,
> > only domain.
>
> Just construct your own Message-Id header, including $local_part, then
> replace original header with headers_add/headers_remove (in routers)
> or add_header/remove_header (in ACLs). Some marker string, including
> $local_part, may be safely join (left) to the original message-id.
>
> But take into account that message-ids, listed in References and
> In-Reply-To headers of outgoing mails, are hooks for building threads.
> So alternating Message-Id header for incoming mail you could mark reply,
> but may occationaly break representaion of threads for the recipients.

Hm, that may work. So, to not break recipient threads i probably may also
rewrite back 'References' and 'In-Reply-To' in outgoing message copy, which goes
to original sender, but use my own versions in message copies, which i redirect
locally to other users of that "shared" mailbox.. Thanks, i'll try this.