List:       exim-users
Subject:    Re: [exim] =?utf-8?q?RELAY_NOT_PERMITED_exim4?=
From:       Sebastian via Exim-users <exim-users () exim ! org>
Date:       2021-04-21 13:31:04

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

I would say it's a benefit. Even if you restrict IPs to a bigger area like a country \
(geoIP restriction) or a whole ISP, you still reduce the attack surface with MANY \
times. I before had problems with bots hacking my passwords. They guessed them all \
the time. After I added IP restrictions covering all the locations im at, the bot \
hacking problem have disappeared completely.

And with the username/password restriction, I can add IPs belonging to public \
locations or are shared with many users (for example, mobile ISPs) without being \
afraid of any of these being finding my server AND finding my password.

But bots cracking passwords to gain access are a real problem today, and IP \
whitelisting are a good solution to that.

IF you run for example a webhosting company, and all your customers are located in a \
specific country (just because the payment method only exist in that country for \
example) you can geoIP restrict it to your country only. To avoid a large \
auth_advertise_hosts list, you can join CIDR ranges that are close to each other, \
even if a few out-of-country IPs are added.

The important is to have a "rough" filtering to avoid all bots from all over the \
world.