List:       exim-users
Subject:    Re: [exim] Exim message thaw performance
From:       Phil Pennock <pdp () exim ! org>
Date:       2012-08-23 23:20:57

On 2012-08-23 at 10:02 -0500, Volker Schmelich wrote:
> Our current solution is to patch Exim to disable fsync.

*blink*  You should just be able to put ENABLE_DISABLE_FSYNC into
Local/Makefile when building, and then use the "disable_fsync" option in
the main section of the configuration file.

It's discouraged, for reasons you seem to grasp, but the framework is
there so that you shouldn't need to be maintaining a custom patch for
this.  We'd rather that if people do need to do this, they at least have
a clean framework for doing so.

If there's a missing code-path leading to an fsync which this
disable_fsync option doesn't catch, we'd like to fix that.

Thanks,
-Phil