List:       exim-users
Subject:    Re: [exim] Spool format error in 4.77
From:       Kai Risku <Kai.Risku () arrak ! fi>
Date:       2011-12-07 12:09:07

> OS?  OS version?  How was Exim built?  How much of your configuration
> can you share with us?  Compile configuration and runtime?
>
> Output of:
> exim -bP received_header_text

This is on Linux running kernel 2.6.26.6, running a spam-filtering email gateway. \
Originally a Fedora Core 6, but I have regularly upgraded exposed software by \
recompiling RPM packages. I made the RPM package for Exim 4.77 using the same \
specfile as I had used for version 4.71 and that version worked without problems for \
two years.

I don't know what of compile configuration and runtime might be relevant, but I have \
not changed anything when upgrading.

Unfortunately I cannot share the whole configuration file, but it is not entirely \
trivial. Basically exim delivers incoming email to amavisd-new over SMTP and receives \
them back over SMTP before doing final delivery, but then there is a lot of ACL \
checks (ratelimits, explicit white/blacklistings, SPF-checks, greylisting, etc.).

#  exim -bP received_header_text
received_header_text = Received: ${if def:sender_rcvhost {from \
$sender_rcvhost\n\t}{${if def:sender_ident {from $sender_ident }}${if \
def:sender_helo_name {(helo=$sender_helo_name)\n\t}}}}${if def:tls_peerdn {(${if \
eq{$tls_certificate_verified}{1} {Verified}{Unverified}} $tls_peerdn)\n\t}}by \
$primary_hostname ${if def:received_protocol {with $received_protocol}} ${if \
def:tls_cipher {($tls_cipher) }}(Exim $version_number)\n\tid $message_id${if \
def:received_for {\n\tfor <$received_for>}}

Nothing in the configuration, build process, environment or anything really has \
changed, I just upgraded the binary. I have tried eyeballing through a diff of the \
sources between 4.71 and 4.77 but have not been able to spot anything suspicious. Of \
course a random memory corruption due to some subtle changes e.g. in some ACL or \
lookup implemention are hard to find, but then I probably wouldn't be the only one to \
have problems.

And the problems are really sparse. I have now had a total of four incidents within a \
week (three of which were within 8 hours last night) on a server receiving about 1000 \
emails per day (and temporarily rejecting around 1000 messages per day due to \
greylisting in the SMTP RCPT ACL).

Very hard to track down what might be the problem when it cannot be reproduced at \
will. Perhaps it was just cosmic radiation (not using ECC memory) and a strange \
coincidence that it happened just after upgrading Exim. I should try to do a full \
memtest on the server just to be sure, but that is not the easiest thing to do on a \
server in production use..

--
Kai.Risku@arrak.fi     GSM  +358-40-767 8282
Oy Arrak Software Ab   http://www.arrak.fi