List:       exim-users
Subject:    Re: [exim] Mailing Listname with "&" character in prefix
From:       W B Hacker <wbh () conducive ! org>
Date:       2010-05-20 0:51:09

Odhiambo Washington wrote:
> Hello List,
>
> I am managing a list server running on Mailman+Exim and someone has
> requested that I create a list named (say)
> jack&jill@dom.ain.name<jack%26jill@dom.ain.name>
> .
>
> Anyone done this before? Any side effects?
>
> Thanks

Expect several.

RFC's and probable MLM workarounds notwithstanding, there are 'too many' other
critters out there that make unexpected assumptions, and the %26 won't allways
get the job done. Think address books in MUA's as well as MTA's and - worse yet
- spam filtering engines.

I base that on the experience of a few well-known commercial entities that have
an '&' in their legal corporate name (I'm ex C&W for one), and have had to use
alternatives for the web and mail, such as;

candw for 'C&W' (telecoms. Or they were a long time ago, anyway.)

'bbnt', and 'bbt' for BB&T (Branch Banking & Trust, a regional US bank)

..and several others, many in banking, accounting, law, et al.

It could be a kindness to educate the client before they start running into
limited ability to deliver reliably.

The 'longname' should be enough to keep the identity need satisfied.

HTH,

Bill