List:       exim-users
Subject:    Re: [exim] retry => reroute? apparently
From:       Ross Boylan <ross () biostat ! ucsf ! edu>
Date:       2010-03-20 2:16:02

On Fri, 2010-03-19 at 17:58 -0700, Ross Boylan wrote:
> On Fri, 2010-03-19 at 17:53 -0700, Ross Boylan wrote:
> > If a message is deferred because of transport problems, does it get
> > re-routed when it is retried?
I tried testing exim 4.69-9 on Debian Lenny.
Mail to ross@vm-lenny.kvm.lan.
.forward file "deliver ross@[192.168.8.12]" (no machine at that IP).
MAIN_ALLOW_DOMAIN_LITERALS=yes (Debian-specific way to enable IP literal
addressing and a corresponding router).

The message fails and sits in the queue.

Experiments, using exim -qf, show
1. Routing is repeated on the original edress ross@vm-lenny.kvm.lan.
So the answer to my original question is yes.  I had assumed that
routing was done on the edress that failed the transport, i.e.,
ross@[192.168.8.12], but it is done on the *original* edress.
2. To match an ip literal, e.g., in a redirect router, use
domain = [192.168.8.12]
I tried it without the brackets first; they are necessary.

I think this means I can correct the routing on retry simply by
redefining my .forward file to deliver somewhere else.

As a side note, the debug messages seem to indicate that no failure
information is being cached for the domain literal addresses; I'm not
sure why.

Ross