List:       exim-users
Subject:    Re: [exim] dealing with a dead client machine
From:       Roger Burton West <roger () firedrake ! org>
Date:       2010-03-17 9:15:33

On Tue, Mar 16, 2010 at 06:32:26PM -0700, Ross Boylan wrote:

>Yes, we enabled domain literals.  Our local network is run by Windows
>types who skipped DNS.

That's a shame. Otherwise you could just drop in a custom router like
the one I mentioned last week...

>If not, I've seen advice to freeze the messages, add the new recipient
>and delete the old one.  Performing the operation over all relevant
>messages will require a bit of scripting, and I'm not sure what happens
>if a new message comes in while this is happening (I guess I should
>change the .forward file first).

If you process one mailq output rather than looking directly at the
message store, surely it shouldn't matter? (If your script looks only
for messages pointed at the old address, then does freeze, add, delete,
thaw on one message at a time, I don't see a problem; if a new message
arrives, it can be caught next time you run the script.)

>Once the new machine is ready, what's the best way to trigger delivery?
>exim -qff?

That's what I'd do.

Roger