List:       exim-users
Subject:    Re: [exim] EXIM and Exchange 2007
From:       Steve Kemp <steve () steve ! org ! uk>
Date:       2009-06-18 14:30:13

On Thu Jun 18, 2009 at 16:07:17 +0200, Niels Jende wrote:

> Guess what, I have googled a lot. Sure I found some HowTo's telling and describing \
> how to setup Exim on debian. No worries, mate. But that's just not half the prob \
> I'm facing actually.

  HOWTOs only help if they cover the exact problem you have.  CHances
 are nothing will, so chances are you must understand what you're doing
 and approach it step by step.

  Your problem is:

   Step 1: You want incoming mail to go:

        [internet] -> [exim] -> [exchange]

   Step 2: You want outgoing mail to go:

        [user] -> [exchange] -> [exim] -> [internet]

   Simple, huh?

   Hypothetically you could do this:

   On your exim machine run "dpkg --reconfigure exim4-config", this
  will guide you through a process of configuration.  Choose
  "satellite system".  This will configure exim4 to route all mail
  received to an external system  you could enter the name/ip of
  the exchange system.

   The problem with this is that you'd struggle with the step 2.

   Instead all you should need to do is update a single file on
  your Debian system.  Create the file:

  /etc/exim4/hubbed_hosts.

   Add the following to it:

   example.com: hostname.of.exchange.server

   That will ensure -> Incoming mail sent to foo@example.com is routed
  to the exchange server.  Outgoing mail will otherwise be delivered
  via smtp.

   Job done.

   (YOu might want to use "dpkg --reconfigure exim4-config" to setup
  "direct smpt", but basically on a Debian etch system "hubbed_hosts"
  is your friend.)

  Still I wonder why you're doing this?  Dont trust exchange to be
 exposed to the internet?

Steve
--
Managed Anti-Spam Service