List:       exim-users
Subject:    Re: [exim] ACL Subroutine Specification Suggestion
From:       Magnus Holmgren <holmgren () lysator ! liu ! se>
Date:       2008-01-27 17:59:03

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

On tisdagen den 22 januari 2008, Marc Perkel wrote:
> There has been some talk about parameter passing and returning values
> from ACLs to make them look like functions/subroutines. Not sure if
> progress is being made so I'm going to propose something and see what
> people think.
>
> My suggestion.
>
> warn   set $acl_c_my_variable = my_acl apple banana carrot

You'd need a new ACL modifier or expansion item. Ignoring the dollar sign,
that can only mean setting acl_c_my_variable to "my_acl apple banana carrot".

> my_acl:
>
> warn   logwrite = $acl_param1 $acl_param2 $acl_param3
>            acl_return = vegetable

Are you talking generally or are you trying to solve a specific problem?
Unless recursion is needed, the same thing can be accomplished, albeit using
a couple more lines, by setting some ACL variables and then calling the
sub-ACL, which returns its result also by setting a variable. If that's not
good enough, ${perl} may be.

--
Magnus Holmgren        holmgren@lysator.liu.se
                       (No Cc of list mail needed, thanks)