List:       exim-users
Subject:    Re: [exim] Second silly question,
From:       Rob Munsch <rmunsch () solutionsforprogress ! com>
Date:       2006-06-30 15:59:38

Philip Hazel wrote:

> On Fri, 30 Jun 2006, Rob Munsch wrote:
>

> > w'yeah, but that's kind of the opposite of the original goal :).
> >

> I realize that!

I'm just sayin'...

> Consequently, I'm not surprised that it isn't compatible with "syslog
> culture".

Fair enough, but it's not like syslog users are some obscure aberration
in East Nowhere.
(Remember, the first part of Culture is Cult!)
For my part, i've usually dealt with the One True Config File, so Exim's
format kind of hurt my brain for a while.
I'm using a central, stripped-down host for logging Everything, to which
clients fire off their messages via stunnel without losing their local
logging, central host stuffs in database, database gets backed up
permanently, searching cache for recent stuff gets trimmed daily.  I
can't really see any good way to do this without syslog :D.

> There are items on Exim's Wish List that are concerned with logging, in particular \
> to give more control. Items like this: (301) 27-Oct-04 M Use an "ACL" to filter \
> logging                          But nothing has been done, as far as I know.

syslog-ng's source/filter/dest setup is pretty powerful (so much so that
i don't get it all yet ,-) ).
if i come up with anything groovy, i'll post it up.

--
Rob Munsch
Solutions For Progress IT