List:       exim-users
Subject:    RE: [Exim] Any benefits to having exim use the SIZE command?
From:       "Eli" <eli () experthost ! com>
Date:       2003-12-31 22:04:20

True, no spam I've seen was big enough to be considered "too big".  I guess
a more relevant issue would be clueless users who think that sending their
10mb adobe acrobat brochure via email is a smart thing to do, and all those
amateur artists who just *have* to send their 50mb high res picture to a
client via email!  *smack smack smack*

I don't know if any MTAs actually use the SIZE command as an accurate count
for message size, however exim does apparently use it to check disk space:

"The amount of disk space available is checked whenever SIZE is received on
a MAIL command, independently of whether message_size_limit or
check_spool_space is configured, unless smtp_check_spool_space is set false.
A temporary error is given if there is not enough space. If
check_spool_space is set, the check is for that amount of space plus the
value given with SIZE, that is, it checks that the addition of the incoming
message will not reduce the space below the threshold."

I don't know if that could cause any problems, but I guess there is a chance
if you're critically low on spool space, and someone misrepresents the
actual message size to be much smaller than the message really is once sent
across in the DATA stage.  No idea if SIZE is also used elsewhere, and/or if
other mail servers use it at all (I thought I read somewhere that exim will
reject a message if it sends more data than reported with the SIZE command -
no idea where I thought I saw that though).

Eli.