List:       exim-users
Subject:    Re: [Exim] exim4 smart host - how to use it only when non-smarthost
From:       Dan Egli <dan () eglifamily ! dnsalias ! net>
Date:       2003-12-30 1:52:42

Michael Johnson wrote:
> On Dec 29, 2003, at 7:56 PM, Dan Egli wrote:
> >
> How much does your internet connection cost you?  Your ISP can't take
> the MX record for you and have your mail stored there?  You're already
> paying for that.
Cost: Approx $50US/Mo
And I'm not quite sure waht you mean with the MX record. I don't WANT
comcast to store my mail. NOt to mention that this is getting backwards.
We are startiung to deal with inbound mail. The issue that sparked this
was on OUTBOUND mail.

> If your family can't spare the $15/yr, you may want to reconsider a few
> things.  I'm not going to play your financial advisor here, but you're
> talking about barely over a dollar a month.  It can't be that hard to
> figure out how to spare that.

To put it as my wife did: "That's an extra tank of gas". I don't think
it's that much and if I REALLY wanted to I could probably talk her into
it. The point is I *DON'T* want to.

> It sounds like it's time to find an employer who will make sure you
> have the tools you need.  At a minimum, there's <http://www.cvsnt.org/>
> to get the server running on his Win server.  You can find clients for
> it all over the place.  VersionTracker and TUCOWS should give you a
> good start.

Like I said. I offered to setup a free cvs system. He turned me down
flat. He wants to be able to simply grab the source code off the network
~ whenever he wants it and access it directly on the network, without
having to transfer it. That, unfortunately, kills the CVS idea.

> > sftp: Secure FTP? Again, would be nice, but not an option. As far as my
> > boss is conserned, if it won't run FOR FREE on a Win98se box, it won't
> > be used by his employees. And I DO mean ONLY on the 98se box. All his
> > machines are 98se. I even offered to setup a free ftp server on the
> > 98se
> > box (using DragonServ, since it's free), and he even said no to that.
>

> Time to blow that popsicle stand.  Find an employer who will make sure
> you ahve the tools you need to do your job.
Don't I wish! I'd love to get away from him. But I have no degee and
anyone who is going to pay these days wants a degree. I've been TRYING
to find other employment for over two years now. No luck.

> > WebDAV: What is THAT?
>

> <http://www.webdav.org/> can answer that question for you better than I
> can here.
>
> > scp: Again, This is going from a Win32 box to a Win32 box. And if you
> > cannot run it for free on his Win32 box, forget it. He's even too cheap
> > to rent an office. His "office" is the basement of his house! The Phnoe
> > # he has for business use is a residental additional line. This guy
> > will
> > bend over backwards to spend $0.25 less!
> >
> Ditto above...
Me too. Ditto above.....

> But you do have an account through your employer.  They should be able
> to do this with little to no difficulty.  A junior admin could do it.
No I don't. Not unless I "hi-hjack" his account. And I don't want to do
that because then he could get in trouble and then I'm in trouble.

> Your boss needs to learn a lot about running a business.  Hell, I feel
> sorry for you...send me your resume and I'll submit to to my company
> and split the hiring bonus with you if they take you.

Cool. Where do you work? (I.e. State/City?)

- --- Dan