List:       exim-users
Subject:    Re: [Exim] Yet another "failed to open DB file" question
From:       Tony Earnshaw <tonni () billy ! demon ! nl>
Date:       2002-03-29 21:06:48

fre, 2002-03-29 kl. 05:23 skrev dman:

> I wouldn't be surprised if there's a dbm library problem with what you
> have.  I saw these error messages on one system (the zombie one) after
> I moved it to exim4.  I fixed those errors on my primary MX were
> caused by dbm library incompatibilities.

> > The same redhat package whith the same exim.conf was running until 2
> > weeks ago on redhat 6.2 without any problem.
>
> The binary was made using libraries on a rh box.  When the
> dependencies on the package say they need a certain name and version,
> it means the package with that name and version it was compiled
> against.  That's the problem with so many rpm-based distros -- the
> packages don't work on other distros.

Seconded. Which is why I always try to compile packages where possible,
instead of using rpms.

Sometimes there's no other "out", or laziness takes the upper hand. RH 7
and 7+ has always been good to me with Yellow Dog, Polished and Mandrake
rpms (where these haven't been available from RH), but avoid it where
possible.

Not only that, but the optimisation and performane of source code on the
machine/OS spec and libraries on which the code has to be used, has to
be better. i386 optimalisation on a i686 machine just can't give the
same performance.

Tony

--

Tony Earnshaw

e-post:		tonni@billy.demon.nl
www:		http://www.billy.demon.nl

Telefoon:	(+31) (0)172 530428
Mobiel:		(+31) (0)6 51153356

GPG/PGP Fingerprint: 3924 6BF8 A755 DE1A 4AD6  FA2B F7D7 6051 3BE7 B981