List:       exim-users
Subject:    Re: [Exim] Does Exim 3.22 and higher work with MajorDomo?
From:       John W Baxter <jwblist () olympus ! net>
Date:       2002-03-28 20:20:58

At 10:29 -0800 3/28/2002, David Gardner wrote:
> Greetings,
>
> I posted yesterday about sending a large list of email addresses an
> email (SPAM by another name) and logging failed addresses to a file
> without using MajorDomo. (Still looking for help on this one.)
>
> Now, I'd like to setup a MajorDomo service on the server running Exim
> 3.22 to (mostly) automate the above process. I searched the web for
> tricks, tips and pitfalls of setting up this combination but run into
> dead links. I did find a little help at
> http://sysadmin.oreilly.com/news/exim_0701.html which I gather is a
> part of the "Exim: The Mail Transfer Agent" book. Does anyone on this
> list run MajorDomo on their Exim server and, if so, can you help me get
> this combination setup on mine?

We are running Majordomo with an older Exim (3.12).  (It's one of two Exim
instances on a machine separate from our main mail servers.)  The Majordomo
itself is fairly old...we plan to phase it out once Mailman 2.1 is out and
we have it running.  [We don't want to train the few remaining Majordomo
list owners on Mailman 2.0 and then switch to 2.1.]  We set that
Majordomo/Exim pair up at the end of 1999 because we had to phase out the
non-Y2K capable machine which had previously been running
Majordomo/sendmail.

Majordomo basically just falls onto the machine without difficulty (do
follow instructions, and I don't know about any package-based installs).
(Majordomo 2.x may be a different story...we haven't looked.)  We aren't
doing anything fancy with the Majordomo installation, so the ugly aliases
are present for each list.  Our Mailman installation--which runs most of
our lists--uses the method given in the HowTo at the Exim site to avoid
having per-list aliases in the Exim setup.

  --John

--
John Baxter   jwblist@olympus.net      Port Ludlow, WA, USA