List:       exim-announce
Subject:    [Exim-Announce] ADMINISTRIVIA - Exim-Users List outage and potential problems with
From:       Nigel Metheringham <nigel () exim ! org>
Date:       2001-10-29 12:39:47

I guess people have noticed that there has been a lack of exim-users
since mid afternoon on Friday (EU time).   This was due to a corrupt db
on the Mailman installation - not quite sure why that happened at
present although the machine appears to have had an abrupt reboot around
about the same time.

I was not able to get to the backups of the data in reasonable time, so
I have rebuilt the list configuration from scratch, using the people who
were sent list messages on Friday morning as the base membership (both
normal and digest receiving members).

However some data will have been lost.
Messages sent to the list in the problem period will have been lost (and
not delivered) - you will need to resend these.
People who had subscriptions set to nomail (ie to allow posting from a
different address) will have lost those subscriptions.
Passwords for the list have all been reset.
You should all have got a new welcome message to confuse you.
Digest members may find they are getting MIME rather than plain text
digests.
Anyone who attempted to subscribe or change their settings after Friday
morning will have lost those changes.

And, of course, I may have broken other things :-(

Apologies for the delay in getting this fixed - it of course happened on
a day when I was unavoidably away and then off net for a few days.

I am looking at a way of saving the list config data to work round any
future problems.

	Nigel.