List:       evolution
Subject:    Re: [Evolution] Evolution keeps asking for my passwords
From:       Patrick O'Callaghan <poc () usb ! ve>
Date:       2021-03-25 16:55:21

On Thu, 2021-03-25 at 07:50 -0700, Steven Taylor wrote:
> On Wed, 2021-03-24 at 23:26 +0100, Ángel wrote:
> > On 2021-03-24 at 15:01 -0700, Steven Taylor wrote:
> > > Hi, I have had evolution 3.36.4-0ubuntu1 running for about a week
> > > now
> > > on my Kubuntu 20.04 system and it has been fine. Today, when I
> > > booted
> > > the system, it said an application wanted access to my keyring so I
> > > entered my password for that and started Evolution. Now every time
> > > Evolution checks my mail, it asks for my email passwords, I put
> > > them
> > > in, sometimes leaveing the "Store password in the keyring" box
> > > checked, sometimes with the box cleared. Everytime, it goes ahead
> > > and
> > > retrievesmy mail okay, but the next time, it asks for the password
> > > again. It has never done this before now and I haven't made any
> > > changes. I am about ready to go back to Opera as my mail client.
> >
> > evolution isn't able to communicate with your keyring. Thus it is
> > asking the password everytime (and is unable to save it, and thus it
> > gets asked again next time). If there really wasn't any change, I
> > would
> > reboot and see if it gets picked properly, as it may be the quickest
> > solution. Otherwise, you can start by shutting doen all evolution
> > processes (eolution --force-shutdown), checking the keyring contenst
> > (open seahorse)...
> >
> > Best regards
> >

> This morning on reboot, the keyring didn't ask for a password and
> evolution is working without asking for passwords. Something wierd was
> going on but, as you said, rebooting was the quickest solution.
> Steve

I think there's a race condition between gnome-keyring and Evolution
when using non-Gnome desktops. I've occasionally seen this (I also use
KDE). See the thread starting at:

https://mail.gnome.org/archives/evolution-list/2020-February/msg00041.html

I seem to trip it much less frequently now, but am not convinced that
it has completely gone and have basically stopped looking into it.

poc