List:       evolution
Subject:    Re: [Evolution] Cannot Archive Messages Keep Showing Up
From:       Patrick O'Callaghan <poc () usb ! ve>
Date:       2020-04-17 12:08:13

On Fri, 2020-04-17 at 13:43 +0200, Alexander Kerner via evolution-list
wrote:

> On Thu, 2020-04-16 at 13:00 +0100, Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:
> > On Thu, 2020-04-16 at 13:09 +0200, Alexander Kerner via evolution-list
> > wrote:
> > > indeed there was another instance of Evolution running on another
> > > machine.
> > > I changed that and now it seems to work.
> > > I have no idea though why or how the other instance may sabotage my
> > > imap
> > > operations.
> >
> > [Please don't top-post]
> >
> > IMAP is not designed to handle immediate synchronisation between two
> > clients active on the same account. They will eventually synchronise,
> > but not immediately.
> >
> > poc
> >

> How does this work with Gmail, i.e., a web-interface for IMAP mail? I use
> Gmail and Evolution at the same time and it synchronizes instantly between
> the web and Evolution.

I also use both. Gmail is not a "web interface for IMAP email". It's an
entirely different email client that uses its own backend protocols.
The fact that the Gmail *service* is also available via IMAP doesn't
mean that the Gmail *web client* is IMAP-based.

Nor are they always in synch. I frequently see updated folder contents
on Evolution which are not updated on the web interface until an
appreciable time later, sometimes on the order of minutes. I also
sometimes delete a message on the web interface and it's still listed
in the folder contents on Evolution, though if I click on it it then
shows as "missing".

poc