List:       evolution
Subject:    Re: [Evolution] lost local folders when migrating data
From:       John Sauter <John_Sauter () systemeyescomputerstore ! com>
Date:       2019-04-20 17:38:06

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

On Thu, 2019-04-18 at 09:52 +0200, Milan Crha via evolution-list wrote:
> On Wed, 2019-04-17 at 07:20 -0400, John Sauter wrote:
> > I noticed something unusual in the left pane of Evolution.  After
> > my
> > e- mail accounts but before "Search Folders" there is a line
> > "local_mbox".
>
> 	Hi,
> that's the backup evolution was talking about before the migration.
> You
> can see it in Edit->Preferences->Mail Accounts too.
>
> > When I click on it, it reveals no contents.
>
> This is odd. The listing you gave suggests it's a maildir structure,
> thus what really had been in ~/.local/share/evolution/mail/local/.
> You
> mentioned a power failure, maybe the account is not set properly. You
> can create a new mail account of type "Maildir-format mail
> directories"
> and point it to this backup, which should show you the files again.
> If
> not, then delete the folders.db file from that folder (or rather more
> it away) and start evolution, which will recreate it.
>
> I do not know why you've been asked for the migration, that might be
> some fault on the disk or something. The content of the "..maildir++"
> file in there is important. A similar file should be seen in the
> ~/.local/share/evolution/mail/local/.
> 	Bye,
> 	Milan

Something in my Evolution data apparently became corrupted.  I
tried deleting ~/.cache/evolution and restoring
~/.local/share/evolution/ and .config/evolution/ from an April 10
backup, but when I start Evolution it still insists on trying to
convert my files to maildir format, and failing after printing this
message to the system log: "migrate_mbox_to_maildir: Failed to make
directory '/home/jsauter/.local/share/evolution/mail/local': File
exists".  I concluded that my April 10 backup was already corrupt.

I was able to restore my data from an April 8 evolution backup.  Having
done that I created a new account of type "Maildir-format mail
directories" (thank you for the hint, I didn't know that was possible).
I moved all of my local data from On This Computer to that account,
which I put on a disk that I back up regularly.  My evolution backups
are now much smaller.

Thank you all for your help.
    John Sauter (John_Sauter@systemeyescomputerstore.com)

--
PGP fingerprint E24A D25B E5FE 4914 A603  49EC 7030 3EA1 9A0B 511E