List:       evolution
Subject:    Re: [Evolution] Backing up Evolution Data
From:       Emilio Recio <Emilio.Recio () jefferson ! edu>
Date:       2015-09-14 16:49:56

RSnapShot allows you to do incremental backups (using hardlinks) vs
Rsync which you would have to script to do what rsnapshot does.
Honestly, if you don't care for point-in-time backups, then just use
rsync. I use them both on a case-by-case basis.

On 09/13/15 11:19, Tom wrote:
> Am Dienstag, den 08.09.2015, 16:55 +0100 schrieb Patrick O'Callaghan:
> > On Tue, 2015-09-08 at 10:10 -0400, John Lauterbach wrote:
> > > It would be a nice addition to evolution to be able to schedule
> > > backups at a
> > > certain time each day.  I use SpiderOak for offsite backup.  If I
> > > could have
> > > evolution do this automatically, I would never lose more than a day's
> > > e-mail.
> >
> > As has been said repeatedly, the "backup" command in Evo is not
> > intended for periodic backups but for when you need to move your Evo
> > installation to another machine. For one thing, it requires Evo to be
> > running (not much use if you want to schedule it at fixed times). For
> > another, it doesn't do incremental backups but takes a complete
> > snapshot every time. This is almost never what you want in a production
> > context. Use a real backup system, of which there are many in Linux (I
> > use rsnapshot to a local (...)
>
> Hoping not to go too far OT, but what's the advantage over rsync in this
> context ?

The information contained in this transmission contains privileged and confidential \
information. It is intended only for the use of the person named above. If you are \
not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any review, dissemination, \
distribution or duplication of this communication is strictly prohibited. If you are \
not the intended recipient, please contact the sender by reply email and destroy all \
copies of the original message.

CAUTION: Intended recipients should NOT use email communication for emergent or \
urgent health care matters.