List:       evolution
Subject:    Re: [Evolution] Gnome for Ubuntu
From:       Rick Leir <rleir () cirruscomputing ! com>
Date:       2014-02-19 10:57:00

[Attachment #2 (multipart/alternative)]

On Wed, 2014-02-19 at 11:52 +0400, Emre Erenoglu wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 18, 2014 at 8:13 PM, Matthew Barnes <mbarnes@redhat.com>
> wrote:
>
>         On Tue, 2014-02-18 at 19:02 +0400, Emre Erenoglu wrote:
>         > Is there a distribution that carries the latest versions of
>         > dependencies of Evo 3.12 (incl webkit), so that I can
>         self-compile it
>         > without jhbuild? I shall be forced to replace only few
>         system packages
>         > to prevent instability of the base system.
>

>         I do most of my Evolution development on Debian Stable,
>         cherry-picking
>         newer libraries as needed from Debian Testing, and
>         occasionally build
>         (optional) bleeding-edge dependencies straight from git.
>
>         I don't use jhbuild, I install built source code to a prefix
>         under my
>         home directory so as not to affect system stability, and I run
>         the EDS
>         D-Bus services manually from that install prefix.
>

> Thanks Matthew for your time, hope you would have little more time to
> respond to the below as well :)
>

> I tried this in Ubuntu but it started complaining about tons of
> dependencies to replace in the system, starting from Gnome3 related
> packages, webkit, fontconfig, glib, gnutls, gobject-introspection,
> gstreamer, gtk+, gvfs, libnotify, libsoup, librest, pango, polkit,
> etc.  etc.  Maybe these are not all needed...
>

> However, your message gave me new energy to try again :)  Maybe I can
> start on a beta Ubuntu 14.04 and try over there.

The default desktop environment  of Ubuntu 12.10 or later is Unity.
Maybe you need a GNOME session fallback installed on the system.

Ubuntu 12.10 introduces two different types of GNOME session fallback.
The default fallback is named 'GNOME Classic' and  there is also the
GNOME Classic (No effects) fallback.

The gnome-session-fallback package, valid for Ubuntu 12.10 and later
versions:

$ sudo apt-get install gnome-session-fallback

GNOME classic (No effects)  will then be made available.

DefaultDesktopCommand "/etc/X11/Xsession gnome-session-fallback"

I have not tried this myself, and the info came from
www.nomachine.com/AR07K00676
HTH -- Rick

Rick Leir, Senior Developer
http://CirrusComputing.com/