List:       evolution
Subject:    Re: [Evolution] I/O operation timing out
From:       Robert Seward <rseward () bluestone-consulting ! com>
Date:       2013-12-02 17:02:47

Fedora 18. Evo 3.6.2

I get timeouts on some accounts (usually gmail) about once a month or
so. The timeouts will persist for a day or two and then things will
return to normal (no timeouts at all).

I have a single Internet connection, a Charter cable connection.

Sometimes during these time outs. The Gmail web interface will have
problems accessing my inbox as well. So in my case I am willing to
believe it might be internal Google problems.

Thanks,
Rob

On Mon, 2013-12-02 at 10:52 +0000, Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:

> On 2 December 2013 00:51, samarjit Adhikari
> <samarjit.adhikari@gmail.com> wrote:
>         I was facing similar issues of evolution timeout. My Evolution
>         version was 3.10.2 from git source. Even I have observe that
>         evolution was throwing timeout very intermittently. Thus I
>         have decided to investigate it further. I could find that eds
>         has implemented a "camel-network-service" which is responsible
>         for connecting any network socket and identifying network
>         change, calls "g_network_monitor_can_reach_async" with
>         callback of "network_service_can_reach_cb". The call
>         "g_network_monitor_can_reach_async" supposed to connect mail
>         server and transfer the handle to Evolution to use. It was a
>         gio call and my gio version is 2.38.1. Evolution was very
>         dependent on this call and will misbehave if such call
>         "g_network_monitor_can_reach_async" misbehaves. I have
>         observed that the above mentioned call some time returns
>         without actually connecting to the mail server(verified
>         through wireshark) and in that case Evolution failed to
>         connect showing "Timeout". Further looking into the code of
>         gio implementation I could find that gio keep caching all
>         network connections e.g. first time if evolution able to
>         connect the mail server, gio will cache it and if you reopen
>         evolution the call "g_network_monitor_can_reach_async" will
>         return some time without connecting the mail server explicitly
>         and such behavior continues till cache become invalid.
>

>         It is very annoying and could be a bug of GIO module rather
>         than Evolution stack.
>         I did not investigate further in GIO side due to time crunch ,
>         but I believe it would certainly help in isolating evolution
>         behavior from GIO.
>

> If there is a bug in GIO it should be reported to Bugzilla. If you
> aren't sure, report it to the Evo Bugzilla page and someone may bump
> it upstream.
>

> poc

Rob Seward
Bluestone Consulting Group, LLC