List:       evolution
Subject:    Re: [Evolution] A ppa for Evolution?
From:       Jeffrey Needle <jeff.needle () gmail ! com>
Date:       2013-02-14 14:31:00

On Thu, 14 Feb 2013 13:46:48 +0000, Tom Davies wrote:

> Hi :)
> Ppas are unofficial repos developed by 3rd parties that the Ubuntu
> Community and Canonical have little or no control over.  So it's kinda
> fairly unusual type of repo but definitely a sub-set of what people
> typicallymean when they say repo.  Except that the name "repo" tends to
> imply some sort of Quality Assurance.
>

> PPa is more like the mad Windows way of just letting people download and
> install any piece of crap from any dodgy website anywhere and then
> wondering why malware is such a prolific problem.  Of course it's fairly
> possible in Gnu&Linux too except that you have to be a bit more advanced
> than a simple point&click user so Ppas just lower the bar.
>
> In most distros people would just join the team of packagers and help
> with packing their stuff properly for everyone to use.
>

> It's not really Ubuntu's fault that Gnome craziness that has sent
> several forks of Gnome spinning off, such as Mate or Cinamon.  Those
> forks are now being used in several different distros sometimes as an
> alternative to the weird new Gnome.  If only Gnome had been able to
> consider
>
> 1.  Keeping roughly the same look&feel 2.  Started thinking about
> incorporating touch and gesture then maybe we wouldn't be in this mess.
>

> Both things are a pain but only 1 of them is Ubuntu's fault.
>
> Regards from
>
> Tom :)

Sigh.  If you want to talk bad about Ubuntu, I'm right there.  The Unity
desktop is, to me, an awful change in the way Ubuntu does their
business.  I gave up on Ubuntu's distros after 10.04.  But I use distros
that use Ubuntu 12.04 as their base, and thus have the software
repository available to make installation/updates simple.

I may be in the minority here, but I think asking users to build
Evolution every time there's a new version can be a bit daunting for new
and inexperienced users.