List:       evolution
Subject:    Re: [Evolution] configure does not find libxml?
From:       Ujwal Sathyam <ujwal () netbrowser ! com>
Date:       2000-07-29 17:28:36

>Ujwal Sathyam wrote:
>>
>>  Hi,
>>
>>  I am trying to build evolution-0.3.1, and the configure script seems
>>  to find all the important libraries until it gets to some xml check.
>>  There I get the error:
>>
>>  checking for xmlNewDoc in -lxml... no
>>  configure: error: Could not link sample program
>>
>>  I know I have both libxml-1.8.9-1 and libxml-devel-1.8.9-1 installed.
>>  I even tried downloading, building, and installing libxml-1.8.7, but
>>  no luck there.
>>
>>  Any ideas?
>
>Yes.  When auto* tests for a function in a library, it builds a small
>test program (which it links) to do this.  If the CFLAGS or LDFLAGS env
>var have been set during th auto* script, they are involved in this.
>Probably another library is causing the problem.  Check config.log to
>see if you can figure out what library is not being linked properly.
>
>-JP

I looked in the config.log file, and it said that it could not find
the asound library (-lasound). I searched the web and found that
libasound is provided by the alsa-lib package. However, when I
installed that, I still got the same error. alsa-lib provides
libasound.so and installs it in /usr/lib. Should I be installing some
other package?

Thanks,

Ujwal