List:       evolution
Subject:    RE: [Evolution] Is there a news reader planned?
From:       "Elan Feingold" <elan () jeeves ! net>
Date:       2000-05-31 15:11:22

> > But I thought that was the point of using components.
> Evolution does a good
> > job of using the gnome-pim for it's calendar portion...I don't
> see why it
> > couldn't do as good a job with pan.  Am I missing something?
>
> gnome-pim had to be massively re-massaged to be used in Evolution.
> And the new calendar/tasks system is very different from what you saw
> in gnome-pim.  New GUI, new engine, less bugs, more correctness.

I would think that a lot of the code (MIME parsing, message composition,
etc.) would be repeated code between Evolution and Pan.  My personal
uninformed opinion is that it would be easier to simply provide the
appropriate NNTP protocols to Evolution, and let it handle all messages in a
uniform way above that layer.

-elan