List:       evms-devel
Subject:    [Evms-devel] [ evms-Bugs-1917266 ] dmsetup errors should report
From:       "SourceForge.net" <noreply () sourceforge ! net>
Date:       2008-03-17 20:22:17

Bugs item #1917266, was opened at 2008-03-17 21:22
You can respond by visiting:
https://sourceforge.net/tracker/?func=detail&atid=383342&aid=1917266&group_id=25076

not just the latest update.
Category: None
Group: None

Initial Comment:
Out of https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/evms/+bug/58283:

When my server rebooted last night, I found that the ubuntu kernels had lost their \
support for dm-bbr.

However, it was very hard to diagnose that because the only error reported was:

'device-mapper: unknown target type' - followed by evms failing.

When device mapper calls fail in this case error EINVAL is returned, and the caller \
(evms) should log somewhere - preferrably somewhere accessible during the initramfs \
failure environment - kmsg or console - what precise devicer mapper call it had made \
that had failed.

I'm not aware of anyone actively making dmsetup report it's errors more usefully.

I'm not suffering the root cause that prompted this bug report, so I can't actually \
tell either.