List:       evms-devel
Subject:    Re: [Evms-devel] evms_clean...where's the metadata please?
From:       Steve Dobbelstein <steved () us ! ibm ! com>
Date:       2007-03-27 14:59:06

[Attachment #2 (multipart/alternative)]

thomas62186218@aol.com wrote on 03/26/2007 10:48:35 PM:

> Hi there,
>
> Having some issues here that appear to be related to left-over
> metadata that is not getting cleaned out when deleting RAID groups.
> It occurs most frequently when using "nested" RAID groups using
> md...for example, creating a RAID 10 using RAID 0 across multiple
> RAID 1's. After deleting the RAID groups and regions, I run
> evms_clean to wipe them further,

When you delete the RAID groups and regions the metadata would be wiped=

out.  When you run evms_clean it should not find any RAID metadata to w=
ipe
out.

> but if I create new RAID groups
> with these same hard drives, EVMS 2.5.5 almost always reports a
> degraded state from the get-go and some other incorrect information.
>
> I know evms_clean is undocumented, but is there source code
> available?

steved@steved:~/evms/engine2> find . -name evms_clean\*
./tests/evms_clean.c

> Better yet, can you tell me where (what sector range
> perhaps) on a hard drive the metadata is being stored? I'd be happy
> to write a script that nukes those sectors but I need some guidance
> here. Thanks!

The RAID metadata are stored near the end of the object.  I believe its=

location is something like "take the size of the object, round down to =
the
next 64 KB boundary, then back up another 64 KB and put the metadata
there."  See plugins/md/md_super.h for the real calculations.=