List:       evms-devel
Subject:    Re: [Evms-devel] snapshotting volume prerequisite
From:       Andrew Shugg <andrew () neep ! com ! au>
Date:       2006-11-02 6:58:17

Chris Dumont said:
> I recently added a new disk to my system and since I didn't need to
> subdivide it I went ahead and created an EVMS volume directly from
> /dev/hdm. I made a filesystem, migrated my data from the old volume to
> the new one. No problems.
>
> My backup script creates a snapshot of each volume and then runs a
> backup (against the snapshot), then deletes the snapshot. But it's not
> successful with the new volume. In the evms-engine.log I see this:
>
> ... _2_ Snapshot: verify_origin: Cannot create snapshots of volumes from
> the LocalDskMgr plugin.
>
>  From the mail archives Kevin Corry, in a response to a similar problem,
> states "In order to correctly take a snapshot, the device being
> snapshotted must be managed by Device-Mapper." So,  Device-Mapper
> manages, for instance, DosSegMgr objects but not LocalDskMgr objects? Am
> I understanding this correctly?

Hi Chris,

Is the volume in question definitely being managed as /dev/evms/foo and
not /dev/foo?  Also, doesn't the snapshot volume need to be created out
of an available region?

Andrew.

--
Andrew Shugg <andrew@neep.com.au>                   http://www.neep.com.au/

"Just remember, Mr Fawlty, there's always someone worse off than yourself."
"Is there?  Well I'd like to meet him.  I could do with a good laugh."