List:       evms-devel
Subject:    [Evms-devel] LVM2 Problem
From:       Craig Magina <craig.magina () gmail ! com>
Date:       2006-10-23 3:59:25

I got my self into trouble.  The kubuntu installer seems to have
mucked up my disk.  I made no changes during it but it apparently
wrote information anyways, I didn't even go through with the
install.  What I see now is:

/dev/evms/md/md2

There are probably 6-8 PV's on that md device.  The md is a RAID0
with a single vg in it.  I dd'ed out a section of the beginning of
the disks that make up the md device seeing all the information for
the PVs still intact, which leads me to believe that the kubuntu
installer changed a few bits early that cause evms to not see my
PVs.  I tried the lvm utilities but they also do not see the PVs.

Where can I go from here?  I really need the data on the disks as I
failed to backup my data before I did this.  I made the bad choice of
tinkering before the backup instead of backing up.  I'm considering
seeing if a data recovery service can help me but they tend to be
expensive and if this is an easy fix, then I'd rather just do it.  If
it is complex and dangerous, I'll probably just leave it to the
professionals and attempt it myself when not so much is at stake.
Thanks for any help that can be provided.  I've already exhausted
searching as far as I can tell, but if anyone knows of any other
informational places I could look those can help as well.