List:       evms-devel
Subject:    Re: [Evms-devel] in kernel evms boot-time volume discovery an recognition
From:       Kevin Corry <kevcorry () us ! ibm ! com>
Date:       2006-04-17 13:43:27

On Fri April 14 2006 3:26 am, sftf wrote:
> Hi!
> This is from http://lwn.net/Articles/14714/:
> "While disk partitioning and software RAID still perform discovery in the
> kernel, the trend seems to be to move these tasks to user-space.
> It is likely at some point in the future that partitioning and MD will also
> be moved out of the kernel as well. However, the drawback to making this
> switch is losing automatic boot-time volume discovery. Activating EVMS
> volumes will now require a call to a user-space utility, which will need to
> be added to the system's init scripts in order to activate the volumes on
> each boot. ...
> In addition, this switch complicates having the root filesystem on an
> EVMS volume."
>
> This situation till now is actual?
> How about including emvs support code in a kernel and bootloader(s),
> so they could recognize and mount evms volumes naturally?
>
> In that case, "worldwide" process of transition from "partition-based"
> scheme to "volume-based" scheme becomes simpler - we don't need initrd and
> kernel can be loaded from evms volume and mount evms root naturally.

I'll suggest go through the archives for evms-devel and/or lkml from fall of
2002. In-kernel volume discovery was tried and rejected quite a while ago -
initrd or initramfs is the way to go now. And nowadays most distros have
scripts that can create initrd's with support for EVMS or LVM, so it's
definitely not as difficult as it had been in the past. EVMS also provides a
pre-built initrd that works well on most systems.

Thanks,
--
Kevin Corry
kevcorry@us.ibm.com