List:       evms-devel
Subject:    Re: [Evms-devel] compat volume's oddity with is_volume_mounted()
From:       Kevin Corry <kevcorry () us ! ibm ! com>
Date:       2006-03-30 14:47:38

Hi Sergey,

On Thu March 30 2006 8:03 am, Sergey Bolshakov wrote:
> Having two such volumes, one from hda1, another from hdb
> (whole disk), both formatted and mounted, i've found, that
> evms can report `mounted' only for the latter.
> After digging in engine/volume.c i'm still not sure,
> if this intentional behavior. Anyway, attached patch
> tries to arrange things.
> Please comment.

Detecting whether /dev/hda1 is mounted is already be handled by the
is_kernel_volume_mounted() function in engine/volume.c. This check is there
to prevent you from deleting (or performing some other action
on) /dev/evms/hda1 while /dev/hda1 is mounted (likewise for other
compatibility volumes).

However, evmsn and evmsgui will not show /dev/evms/hda1 as mounted, because in
that particular case it's not. /dev/evms/hda1 is a different device
than /dev/hda1; /dev/evms/hda1 is a Device-Mapper device and /dev/hda1 is a
"regular" partition, and thus they have different device numbers.
However, /dev/evms/hdb *is* the same device as /dev/hdb; they have the same
device number because we don't need a Device-Mapper device to represent the
whole disk. Therefore the UIs will show you the mount point for hdb.

Sorry for the confusion. It's just a side-effect of EVMS using several
different kernel drivers for its devices.

Thanks,
--
Kevin Corry
kevcorry@us.ibm.com