List:       evms-devel
Subject:    Re: [Evms-devel] grub-install: /dev/evms/newroot does not have any corresponding BIOS drive.
From:       Ross Boylan <ross () biostat ! ucsf ! edu>
Date:       2006-03-30 0:35:14

On Mon, Mar 27, 2006 at 09:48:35PM -0800, Ross Boylan wrote:
> When I say
> # grub-install hd0
> /dev/evms/newroot does not have any corresponding BIOS drive.
>
> The odd thing is that I previously was booting this system with grub
> OK.  Does anyone have any ideas what's going on here?  I'm puzzled
> that grub is looking for a BIOS drive for /dev/evms/newroot at all.
>
> The only places that /dev/evms/newroot appears in menu.lst are

Looking through the grub sources, I suspect that the entries in
menu.lst may not matter.  The shell script grub-install uses runs df
and then tries to get the BIOS for the individual devices reported.

Under a 2.4 kernel, there was no /dev/evms/newroot in the df output,
so this may explain why things worked then and not now, under 2.6.

It may be that some code only runs the check for the root partition,
because under 2.4 and 2.6 there were a lot of /dev/evms partitions,
and most of them had no corresponding segment (to use the EVMS lingo),
and thus no possible BIOS entry.  Uniquely, /dev/evms/newroot does
correspond to a segment, but that isn't helping.

I must be missing something here, because otherwise most people using
grub and evms with root mounted through evms would see this problem.