List:       evms-devel
Subject:    Re: [Evms-devel] remfaulty, addspare do not work
From:       Jochen Radmacher <jradmacher () gmx ! de>
Date:       2006-02-16 12:41:53

Hi,
It looks similar to the Problem I had with my 3 disk raid5. EVMS
activated it in degraded mode, but still had the third drive in its
list. /proc/mdstat showed it as missing.
Cheng Chih-Jen wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I tried to recover a degraded RAID-1 with the faulty disk by CLI
> commands, remfaulty and addspare, but sofar no  luck.

I tried this with evmsn and got the same result.
> When entering EVMS, it shows:
>  EVMS Command Line Interpreter Version 2.5.4
>
> MDRaid1RegMgr: Region md/md0 is currently in degraded mode.  To bring
> it back to normal state, add 0 new spare device to replace the faulty
> or missing device.

Similar Message here.  MDRaid5RegMgr: Region md/md0 is currently in
degraded mode.  To bring it back to normal state, add 0 new spare device
to replace the faulty or missing device.
I think it also said something about "-1 missing devices" when
activating the raid, but I 'm not sure..
> MDRaid1RegMgr: Region md/md1 is currently in degraded mode.  To bring
> it back to normal state, add 0 new spare device to replace the faulty
> or missing device.
>
> MDRaid1RegMgr: Region md/md2 is currently in degraded mode.  To bring
> it back to normal state, add 0 new spare device to replace the faulty
> or missing device.
>
> MDRaid1RegMgr: Region md/md3 is currently in degraded mode.  To bring
> it back to normal state, add 1 new spare device to replace the faulty
> or missing device.
>
> EVMS: task: remfaulty,md/md0,sda5
> The task specified either does not exist or is invalid at this time.
>
> EVMS: task: addspare,md/md0,sda5
> The task specified either does not exist or is invalid at this time.

The faulty device was still visible and PART OF the raid5 in evmsn, but
/proc/mdstat showed it as missing.

> Here's my environment:
> OS: MontaVista Linux 3.0
> Kernel: 2.4.31
> EVMS: 2.5.4

My environment:
OS: Gentoo Linux 2005.1
Kernel: 2.6.15
EVMS: 2.5.4

> 1. Above commands work in EVMS-2.3.4, but fail after port to 2.5.4.
> 2. 'mdadm --add /dev/md0 /dev/evms/.nodes/sda5' would invoke resyncing
> thread and recover the degraded RAID. Is it valid usage ?

I don't know, but it worked for me...
> 3. Is it possible I miss something when install EVMS-2.5.4 ?
> 4. When I used a empty disk to replace the faulty one, those commands
> worked well. [...]
Greets,
 Jochen