List:       evms-devel
Subject:    Re: [Evms-devel] EVMS boot problems (gentoo + udev)
From:       Shane Corgatelli <scorgatelli () yahoo ! com>
Date:       2006-01-19 21:37:09

I finally got this working. I've listed what I did
below.

* As Dirk suggested, I upgraded to the latest unstable
base-layout so I didn't have to update my checkroot
script by hand.

* As Jonathan suggested, I checked what mount was
returning (don't known why I didn't think of that
earlier) and found that it was showing that all of the
Gentoo LiveCD stuff was mounted (which obviously it
wasn't since I didn't use the livecd to boot).

I traced this back to the gentoo install docs which
said to copy /proc/mounts to /etc/mtab before running
grub-install. I did this but didn't remove the mtab
file after. When I rebooted the mtab never had a
chance to get overwritten (I think because of the evms
failures).

So, I removed the mtab file and rebooted.

* After rebooting, EVMS still failed so I logged in
under the debugging prompt and ran the following:

      mount -o remount,rw /
      evms-activate

Previously this failed to work, but after removing the
bad mtab file (as described above) evms-activate
worked fine and created the correct device nodes.

* Rebooted again.

After that everything has worked fine.

Thanks for the help.

-Shane