List:       evms-devel
Subject:    RE: [Evms-devel] Problem with degraded RAID-1 regions on a Cluster
From:       "Thomas Guyot-Sionnest" <Thomas () zango ! com>
Date:       2006-01-11 17:53:50

As far as I recall the drive just disappear... I could try again next week
if you really need that information...

> > In evmsn, I can remove the drive, but can't add it back, even after
> saving
> > changes.
>
> Are you trying to add the drive back with "Add active" or "Add spare"?  To
> rebuild a degraded array (RAID1 or RAID 5) you add the drive back as a
> spare.  The MD kernel code will then sync the new spare drive into the
> array.

When one drive gets marked as bad by MD, all MD-related options disappear in
evms*, and the duplicate name disappear at the same time. That's why I add
it with mdadm.

Once I add it with mdadm, the MD rebuilds, and as soon as I failover the
cluster container the drive disappears just like if I never added it.
Waiting untill the array is completely rebuilt before failing over doesn't
help.

> Having the double name of the cluster container in the name of the MD
> region is a bug in the EVMS MD code.  There should only be one instance.
>
> Looking at the MD code, I see that it prepends the cluster container name
> to the array name each time it adds an object to the array.  Since you
> have
> two objects in the array, the name is prepended twice.

You should probably check what's make EVMS add the MD options, since I don't
get them when I loose one drive.

> > > I could see:
> > >
> > > cluster1/md/md2   621.0 GB      X
> > MDRaid1RegMgr
> > > cluster2/md/md0   621.0 GB      X
> > MDRaid1RegMgr
>
> Since only one disk was found for the array, the cluster container name
> was
> prepended only once, as it should be.
>
> > > And I had no MD-related options in the context-menu of these regions.
>
> That is strange.  If the disk is back on-line it should either be marked
> faulty, in which case the "Remove a faulty object" function should be
> available, or it should no longer be a part of the array, in which case
> the
> "Add spare to fix degraded array" or "Add spare object" function should be
> available.

I have none of these options when I loose a drive.

> > > This
> > > time, however, I tried recovering them with mdadm and it worked.
> > >
> > > mdadm --manage /dev/md2 --add /dev/evms/.nodes/cluster1/sdf
> > > mdadm --manage /dev/md0 --add /dev/evms/.nodes/cluster2/sde
> > >
> > > After that I could see the duplicate cluster name and MD options were
> > > back.
> > > The RAID-0 region recovered by itself and I lost all object sitting on
> the
> > > LVM region that were using this MD region (as expected).
> > >
> > > It looks like some portion of the code doesn't recognize a degraded MD
> > > RAID-1 region on a cluster container. Do you have any idea what's
> going
> > > on?
>
> Not immediately.  I'd like to fix the bug about naming MD regions that are
> in a cluster container.  I wouldn't be surprised if there were other bugs
> in the handling of cluster container objects.
>
> Steve D.

Thanks,

Thomas

["smime.p7s" (application/x-pkcs7-signature)]