List:       evms-devel
Subject:    Re: [Evms-devel] EVMS 2.5.4 fails to activate newly-created degraded
From:       Bernd Zeimetz <bernd () bzed ! de>
Date:       2006-01-08 20:40:25

Hi,

> Well the first thing i'd checked when running into this problem was
> the partition type, and the partition type is "Linux" for all of
> them.  I'd made sure not to set them to 0xfd as I know this causes
> EVMS problems for this reason.
>
> How can I see whether these are being started in initrd?  And how can
> I make them not be autostarted?

you can loop mount your initrd:

cd /tmp
mkdir initrd
mount -o loop -t auto /boot/initrd.img-2.6.8-10-amd64-k8 initrd/

and have a look in your initrd this way.

If you don't need an initrd to start raids or other "weird" stuff the
way I'd suggest - at least that's my preferred way - is to build your
own kernel, especially for that machine, which doesn't need an initrd to
start. If you need an initrd, check your distro's docu how to do it and
how to modify its settings. Most distros have a "user"-mailinglist where
you'll recieve help with such problems usually. Probably they also know
what the fastest way around your problem is on your distro.

Best regards,

Bernd