List:       evms-devel
Subject:    Re: [Evms-devel] Reiserfs resize problem
From:       Olivier Calle <olivier () calle ! org>
Date:       2005-05-19 16:09:00

Le jeudi 19 mai 2005 à 10:31 -0500, Kevin Corry a écrit :
> Not that this has anything to do with your reported problem, but why partition
> the disks into 20GB segments, only to put them all into a single LVM
> container? It would be much simpler to create a single raid1 of a single
> segment from each disk, and then put the raid1 into the container. Of course,
> changing this now would require a rebuild of your whole setup, so I wouldn't
> recommend changing it at this point. :)

Well, the idea was that if I wanted to change things around later, and
had more free space than one segment, I could remove one of the
partitions and do what I want with it.  It is probably a bit silly, but
I don't think it has performance effects.

> Was the usr1 volume not mountable after you rebooted your system? I'm not sure
> why resize_reiserfs hung like that, but I'd be very suprised if it corrupted
> the filesystem in the process. And since EVMS was stuck waiting on the
> filesystem to shrink, it wouldn't have actually written any of the LVM
> metadata to shrink the underlying volume. So you're volume configuration
> should be unchanged.
>
> Let me know what kind of problem you're having now (if you're having any), and
> I'll see where we can go from there.

I'm back up and running.  I came to the same conclusion as you, since
the resize must be completed before you can even consider resizing the
underlying object.  I did have to run a reiserfsck --rebuild-tree, but
I'm fairly sure that I didn't lose any data based on comparing a large
set of files with a remote backup.  Now I'm not so sure I want to try
and resize again, maybe I'll tar and rebuild the fs, but I suspect there
may be some hardware reason for the resize to have failed.

--
Olivier Calle
<olivier@calle.org>