List:       evms-devel
Subject:    Re: [Evms-devel] changing partition id
From:       Kevin Corry <kevcorry () us ! ibm ! com>
Date:       2005-03-20 14:01:01

Hi Susmitha,

On Wed March 16 2005 4:35 am, susmitha wrote:
> How to change the Partition Type on the existing partition?
> While creating we can specify by using "TypeByNumber" or "TypeByName"
>
> But I want on the existing one.

Right now the DOS plugin doesn't provide a way to change partition-types.
We've never added this function because, in general, it's never necessary on
Linux systems. Partition-types are simply a left-over from old DOS and
Windows systems. And it's possible that early versions of some Linux tools
(mkfs and mkswap) looked at the partition-type before running. But this isn't
the case any more. There's no reason that a partition must be type 0x82 to be
swap, or type 0x8e to be used in an LVM container. So EVMS and other Linux
partitioning tools will create new partitions with the default 0x83 type, and
there's really no need to ever change it.

If you really, really want to change the types, you can use fdisk, and the
next time you run EVMS, it will notice the change (although EVMS doesn't use
the partition-type for anything).

> One more doubt :)
> While creating segment by using "TypeByNumber" in Hexadecimal.Getting
> error as
>
> EVMS: c:s,hda_freespace1,size=500MB,TypeByNumber=0x82
> Expecting the command separator.
> Current Token: x82
> Token found at column 47, line 1.
>
> If I give TypeByNumber=130 or TypeByName="Linux Swap" then it is
> working.
>
> Which number I have to give Hexadecimal or Decimal?
> If it is hexadecimal then it will be advantage to me :)

After talking with Steve, we don't think the CLI recognizes hexidecimal input
numbers. Sorry. :(

But like I said above, there's really no reason or advantage to changing the
default partition-type when you create a new EVMS segment.

--
Kevin Corry
kevcorry@us.ibm.com