List:       evms-devel
Subject:    Re: [Evms-devel] broke root filesystem
From:       Mike Tran <mhtran () us ! ibm ! com>
Date:       2005-02-25 14:29:58

Hi Robert,

On Thu, 2005-02-24 at 12:42, Robert J. Brown wrote:
> I posted this to the gentoo help last night, but after 99 views, there
> were no responses, so I am posting it here also.  This is probably a
> reiserfs problem, but since the root filesystem is under evms, I
> thought I would try here.  Sorry if this is off topic.  Oh yes, the
> RAID is also under evms.
>
> I did a stupid experiment. I have a RAID set up for mirroring in
> mobile carriers. I use it for online nightly backups. I had to unmount
> the filesystem on it to bring up a drive with old information on it in
> its place. So I unmounted the filesystem on the RAID, turned the keys
> on the 2 mobile carriers to shut the power off to those drives, and
> pulled the drives. All this without shutting down the rest of the
> system first.
>
> Guess what happened? The whole box locked up! No response to the
> keyboard or mouse, or anything. Oops! Stupid me.

Oops!! :)

> No big deal, I say... everything's backed up. So I hit the reset
> button to reboot the box. It comes up complaining that it can't
> fsck.reiserfs the root filesystem -- unrecoverable errors. So I log in
> single user mode and run the command to --rebuild-superblock and it
> says to then run the --check command. So I do that, but it fails.
>
> So I stuff another 80 GB drive in a mobile carrier slot and dd
> if=/dev/hda of=/dev/hdi to make a backup image of the boot drive
> before I mess everything up irrevokably. It is making that backup as I
> type this on another machine.
>
> So what do I do now? All the critical stuff is indeed backed up on the
> original RAID drives. The boot drive is not a RAID, its an 80 GB IDE
> as /dev/hda, but it was booting from a resisefs filesystem under evms
> before I broke it. The box is running 2.6.9 (I think its .9, but I'm
> not totally sure -- hard to check while the dd is running...). The
> /boot partition is ext2 on /dev/hda1, but the / filesystem is
> /dev/evms/root on the same drive.

The problem here is filesysterm corruption.  The /dev/evms/root volume
is intact.  Because of the improper shutdown, the root filesystem is
corrupt.  EVMS does not manipulate metadata of the filesystem running on
top of EVMS volume.  Sorry.

Since reiserfs failed to recover from a improper shutdown, I would

> If I really have to, I can reinstall Linux on the boot drive, and then
> restore my data files from the backup copies on the RAID, but I would
> prefer to recover the boot drive, if that is possible. Besides, I
> could even learn something new -- besides leaning not to try to hot
> swap my plain vanilla IDE drives. Sad

If anyone knows how to recover the root filesystem, please help.  I
would reinstall linux since you did not loose important data.

--
Regards,
Mike T.