List:       evms-devel
Subject:    Re: [Evms-devel] Mandrake root file system
From:       Kevin Corry <kevcorry () us ! ibm ! com>
Date:       2004-12-10 13:45:04

Hi Bernie,

On Thursday 09 December 2004 6:45 pm, Bernie Ledwick wrote:
> I have system with Mandrake 10.1, kernel 2.6.8.1, compiled with DB-Claim
> patch and evms works fine, except that I cannot mount the root file
> system. I am booting using grub and, as per the documentation, set up
> the initrd image, but during boot-up, in the activate routine, I get
>
> Error returned from evms_commit_changes(): Invalid argument
>
> and then a kernel panic, not being able to mount the root file system.
>
> For the moment, I am not using RAID, just simply one IDE disk.
>
> Anyone any ideas how to progress this please.

Problems with the initrd are always tough to debug. :(

Are you using the EVMS initrd, or did you build your own? You say you have one
IDE disk. Can you describe the segments/regions/volumes you have built on
that disk, and indicate which one is your root-fs?

Can you post the exact output you get at boot-time, starting from when the
initrd is loaded? I realize you probably won't be able to cut-and-paste this
(unless you've got a serial console set up), but it shouldn't be too much to
copy down by hand - probably only about 10 lines or so.

Also, can you post your grub.conf file so we can make sure the boot-loader is
configured correctly?

I'll let you know if I think of anything else to include to help solve this
problem.

--
Kevin Corry
kevcorry@us.ibm.com