List:       evms-devel
Subject:    [Evms-devel] Re: Changed name from hda to hdb etc.
From:       Kevin Corry <kevcorry () us ! ibm ! com>
Date:       2004-12-09 14:15:18

Hi Stian,

On Thursday 09 December 2004 7:16 am, Stian B. Barmen wrote:
> I need to rearrange the disks in my machine. The old hda will now be hdi,
> the old hdb will be hdj etc.
>
> Will this be a problem for EVMS or did it mark the disks so it will
> recognise them?

It really depends on how you setup your volumes.

The disk names will change when you move the disks to a different controller
(as you've already noted). This means the segment names will also change. So
hda1 would become hdi1. If you made a compatibility volume directly from one
of these segments, its name would also change. So if you have /dev/evms/hdb1,
it would become /dev/evms/hdj1.

However, if you created Software-RAID or LVM regions on top of these disks
and/or segments, the names of those regions and volumes will not change. And
EVMS will not have any trouble finding those regions, since it probes all the
disks during discovery looking for metadata (check your /etc/evms.conf to
make sure it will include the new disk names in the metadata search). Also,
if you created an EVMS volume directly from those disks and/or segments, the
name of that EVMS volume will not change either.

So the only situation you need to be concerned about is if you have segments
made into compatibility volumes. If you *are* in this case, you can simply
change your /etc/fstab to use the new volume names right before you shutdown
to move the disks around.

Let us know if you have any other questions.

--
Kevin Corry
kevcorry@us.ibm.com