List:       evms-devel
Subject:    [Evms-devel] trouble activating snapshot through evms-cli
From:       Chris Dumont <chrisdumont () telus ! net>
Date:       2004-11-29 20:56:02

Hi,

I want to eventually create scripts where snapshots will be activated
and de-activated but am having some trouble. In a single evms-cli
session this is ok (a snapshot volume has been previously been created
and activated but not mounted):

    cheetah:/var/log# evms
    EVMS Command Line Interpreter Version 2.4.0
    EVMS: q:ei,snap
    <snip> Field Name: PercentFull <snip> The value of this field is: 0
percent
    [at another terminal create a file in the origin]
    EVMS: q:ei,snap
    <snip> Field Name: PercentFull <snip> The value of this field is: 3
percent
    EVMS: deact:snap
    [slow to come back to prompt]
    EVMS: act:snap
    EVMS: quit
    cheetah:/var/log# _

So, no problems. However, in scripts "deact" and "act" will be called
using different instances of evms-cli:

    cheetah:/var/log# evms
    EVMS: q:ei,snap
    <snip>Field Name: PercentFull <snip> The value of this field is: 0
percent <snip>
    [at another terminal create a file in the origin]
    EVMS: q:ei,snap <snip>Field Name: PercentFull <snip>The value of
this field is: 4 percent
    EVMS: deact:snap
    [slow to come back to prompt]
    EVMS: quit
    cheetah:/var/log# evms
    <snip>
    EVMS: act:snap
    A command line parameter was not valid.
    EVMS: task:reset,snap
    A command line parameter was not valid.
    EVMS: quit
    cheetah:/var/log# evmsgui
    [ Here I do nothing except successfully saving before quitting. That
is the snap and the parent volume are activated.]
    cheetah:/var/log# evms
    EVMS: q:ei,snap
    <snip>Field Name: State <snip> The value of this field is: Active

So, after leaving an evms-cli session where I have de-activated a snap I
have to use evmsgui to re-activate it. I even tried resetting the snap
before de-activating. I was still not able to activate the snap through
the cli.

Am I doing something wrong or is this some kind of bug?

Chris Dumont