List:       evms-devel
Subject:    Re: [Evms-devel] Error in dmesg
From:       "Stian B. Barmen" <stian () barmen ! nu>
Date:       2004-11-23 20:04:46

[Attachment #2 (multipart/alternative)]

> This effectively means that something is trying to read data past the end of
> that device (dm-1). Those are pretty big devices. :)  The numbers are in
> sectors (assuming a 2.6 kernel, since 2.4 kernels don't support devices that
> big), so it looks like something is trying to read data at an offset of about
> 6.46 TB on a device that's only 1.59 TB big. Do either of these sizes match
> any of the volumes (or intermediate objects) from your system?
>
> Can you post the contents of /proc/mdstat and the output of the commands
> "dmsetup ls" and "dmsetup table"? These should help us determine how big all
> your devices are, which might help us explain the above error messages.

Yes this is my _very_ big device. My raid is 1,6T large, made from 8
250GB IDE drives. Takes a long time to sync, but is very nice and fast
once its up.

I did an fsck on the device and it turned out with alot of unused
inodes. After 3 hours of fscking its now working again, no problem. The
problem occured when my hdc disk suddenly went out of sync (dunno why),
there was nothing wrong with the disk from my diagnostic so I removed
the stale object and tried to put in as a spare. This failed, just got
"deactivated" or something, new stale object at least. My last resort
was to delete the region and make it all over using the same parameters.
After this the raid resynced, but the ext3 suffered the damage described
above.

Thanks for you're reply. If I can helt development by providing logs I
will gladly do so but rather send it to you guys directly and not on the
list.

Best regards
Stian B. Barmen