List:       evms-devel
Subject:    Re: [Evms-devel] Delete of volume encounters I/O error
From:       "Mike Dunn [mike.dunn () algx ! com]" <mike ! dunn () algx ! com>
Date:       2004-03-23 15:34:25

   Actually, I did some more work last night, and was able to reproduce
the set of circumstances which create this error.

   I began by removing my configuration ... since the evms tools were
enforcing certain consistency rules, I was unable to delete objects
using them.  Instead, I rebooted, preventing evms from activating on
boot, and used fdisk to remove the partitions (DosSegMgr).

   I then created a new segment manager for this disk, created a
container, several regions, a volume, and a snap of that volume.  This
time I made the snap writable, and proceeded to copy some test data to
the snapped volume.  Folling that, I mounted the snap volume, and
verified that it was a point in time copy by adding data to the snapped vol.

   At this point everything seemed to work well.  Read and write
operations to both volumes were robust, so I decided to try and reset
the snap volume.  This is, as I recall now, where my problems began to
happen.  I apologize, as now I think that I had you debugging a symptom
of my real problem.

   I umounted the snap volume, and used evmsn to reset the snap volume,
and the iterface froze.  IOwait on the system went immediately to 100%
and stayed there (with no associated reads/writes to the physical disk).
  Finally, other I/O tests like fdisk, sync, or du would freeze as soon
as they were executed, and I had to crash the system again.

   I've recovered in nearly the same way now, but evms was more willing
to delete objects this time.

   Thanks!
   Mike