List:       evms-devel
Subject:    Re: [Evms-devel] howto prevent ataraid and bios-plugin from claiming
From:       Wilfried Weissmann <Wilfried.Weissmann () gmx ! at>
Date:       2004-03-21 13:13:35

Simon Farnsworth wrote:
> On Wednesday 17 March 2004 22:55, you wrote:
>
>>Simon Farnsworth wrote:
>>
>>>Trouble is that with kernel ataraid and your plugin, there's no easy way
>>>to stop things going mad. Given this disaster scenario, it might be worth
>>>having your plugin check for kernel ataraid running, and refuse to detect
>>>HPT RAID if so.
>>
>>This is not easy. When I check if some /dev/ataraid/... devices are
>>existing an then refuse to load then the non-hpt ataraid modules also
>>confict with the plugin. The hptraid.o modules do not export symbols or
>>create /proc entries that I can use. I can write a warning that ataraid
>>conflicts with the bios-plugin if ataraid volumes are detected.
>>
>>Ideas anyone?
>>

> Isn't the intent to extend the bios plugin to handle all ataraid devices? In
> which case, detecting /dev/ataraid, and refusing to initialise is probably

The problem can also appear the other way around if evms is started
first and afterwards the ataraid-module is loaded.

> good enough; perhaps also provide a config file override, so that if someone
> has an unsupported RAID format, and knows that the plugin won't cause
> trouble, they can enable it?
>
> After all, ataraid is gone in 2.6 and won't be coming back, so it's not as if
> there's going to be new formats that the kernel supports and the plugin
> doesn't. All that's needed is to ensure that the plugin supports as many
> formats as the kernel does, and I suspect that people will help with that as
> and when it's needed for their transitions.

Yes, however the transtition phase will take some time and someone might
want to use ataraid and evms-biosraid for 2 different controllers or
because of a missing feature in one of the implementations.
I should at least write an FAQ that discusses this issue. ;)

A /proc entry for ataraid would really help a lot. This makes detection
of ataraid claimed devices possible. It works only for new kernels of
course. I will ask the ataraid people...

Regards,
Wilfried