List:       evms-devel
Subject:    [Evms-devel] Re: No dev nodes created for partitions
From:       Steve Dobbelstein <steved () us ! ibm ! com>
Date:       2004-03-17 16:32:11

Allen Jack wrote:
> Steve,
>
> I am developing a segment manager to parse out the partition segments in
> NetWare 6.0 and 6.5 partitions.  I am able to see the segments fine, but
no
> dev node is created for them when I save the configuration.  The
following
> error is returned: "The Engine discovered volume /dev/evms/hdb1.1 but the
> volume is not exported by the EVMS kernel".  I believe this is what is
> stopping the dev node from being created.  What do I need to do in order
> for the volume to be exported by the EVMS kernel?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Allen Jack
>
> Allen Jack
> email - ajack@novell.com
> Novell, Inc., the leading provider of information solutions
> http://www.novell.com

Hello, Allen.

It looks like you are using EVMS version 1.x since you have EVMS in your
kernel.  EVMS versions 2.x do not have a kernel component.

In order for the EVMS kernel to export a partition there must be a kernel
component that recognizes the partition format and makes the partitions in
the kernel.  (It could be additional partitioning code added to the kernel
or an EVMS kernel plug-in.) The EVMS kernel will then see the partition and
examine it for any other volume management schemes that may be on the
partition, e.g., LVM, software RAID.  If there are no other volume
management schemes on the partition, EVMS will export the partition as a
volume.

I see two ways to get this working.

The hard way is to write kernel code that will recognize the Netware
partitioning scheme and create the kernel partitions.

The easier way is to move to EVMS version 2.x.  (The latest release is
2.3.0.)  Your plug-in would need code to create device-mapper devices for
the partitions.  The DM devices are kernel devices that represent the
partitions.  Creating a DM device for a partition is fairly
straightforward.  You can look at the other segment managers for example
code on how to create device-mapper devices for partitions.  Depending on
which kernel you are running you may have to patch it to add the
device-mapper support.  See http://evms.sourceforge.net/install/ for
instructions on how to build and install EVMS, including how to patch your
kernel for device-mapper.

I have cc-ed this reply to our mailing list.  Feel free to ask any
questions there or stop by our IRC channel, #evms on irc.freednode.net.

Steve D.