List:       evms-devel
Subject:    Re: [Evms-devel] SAN via EVMS
From:       Brian Jackson <brian () brianandsara ! net>
Date:       2004-02-20 5:50:50

On Wednesday 18 February 2004 22:51, Galea, Luke wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> I am interested in implementing a SAN-type solution using clustered EVMS
> and publishing volumes via iSCSI to windows and linux servers..
>
> Has anyone attempted something like this who might be able to comment on
> the managability and performance of such a solution?

There are people on the OpenGFS list that have used HyperSCSI (same concept as
iSCSI, just without the tcp/ip) together with evms without any useability
problems. It works fairly well, but I wouldn't expect stellar performance out
of it. Even with gigE you are only talking about theoretical max of 125M/s.
Then start knocking off for protocol overhead, network congestion, more if
it's not a dedicated storage network, etc., etc.

--Brian Jackson