List:       evms-devel
Subject:    [Evms-devel] Re: [Evms-cluster] Problems with two-node cluster
From:       "Joshua M. Thompson" <funaho () jurai ! org>
Date:       2004-02-17 16:03:03

On Mon, 2004-02-16 at 15:24 -0600, Steve Dobbelstein wrote:

> FYI, in my experience I have found heartbeat to be a little racy if
> heartbeat is started on the two nodes at nearly the same time.  In order
> improve the odds of stability, I typically wait five to ten seconds before
> starting heartbeat on the second node.

I think I have it working now. The problem SEEMS to have been that the
container was in a "weird" state. It was marked as owned by node1 but
"deported", and neither node could claim it. I turned on admin_mode for
a few minutes and went and set it back to "private", turned admin_mode
back off, restarted heartbeat on both nodes, and it worked! Shutting
down heartbeat on node1 seems to have properly failed over to node2,
too.

On a side note, there is another bit of documentation weirdness.
On the web site, the instructions say to set the permissions on the
evms pipes in /var/lib/heartbeat/api to mode 0200. But shouldn't it be
mode 0600 for the evms.resp pipe? This would match all the other entries
in that directory as well, and the concept of a write-only response
pipe seems odd. I changed mine locally; not sure if it made a difference
or not.

--
Joshua M. Thompson <funaho@jurai.org>