List:       evms-devel
Subject:    Re: [Evms-devel] [SOLVED] Expand volume fails to grow underlying ReiserFS (segfault)
From:       Kevin Corry <kevcorry () us ! ibm ! com>
Date:       2003-10-22 22:19:01

On Wednesday 22 October 2003 17:10, Ross Boylan wrote:
> The patch worked.  I applied it to the evms 2.1.1-3 Debian source
> package and dpkg -i'd the resulting  libevms-2.1 deb.  For some reason,
> the patch didn't take automatically--I see no obvious reason, maybe
> whitespace?--so I did it by hand.  I logged -d everything, in case
> there's any reason to look at the log. I grew the volume by 1MB, and
> this time it completed successfully.  The reported fs size now matches
> the volume size.

Glad to hear the patch worked for you. As I mentioned before, that problem had
already been fixed for the upcoming 2.2.0 release, so it was easy to find.

> By the way, I was a little surprised that shrink is not available for
> the volume; I thought reiser supported that even online.  Can anyone
> tell me what the problem with that is?  If I have to put the volume
> offline I think I'm in trouble, since it's /var.

Reiser only supports online expand. Currently, no filesystems in Linux support
online shrink. You'll need to unmount the volume to shrink the filesystem.
You might be able to do that by booting to single-user mode.

--
Kevin Corry
kevcorry@us.ibm.com